Odorous House Ant
Actual Size: 1/16″ to 1/8″
They are brown or black. The best identifying characteristic is the “rotten coconut” smell they produce when they are crushed; hence the name.
- Odorous house ants have multiple queens.
- They often form many colonies by “budding” off the original colony.
- Outdoors they usually nest under stones, logs, and planters.
- Indoors, the usually nest in wall voids near heat sources.
- They prefer sweets, but will eat almost any household food.
- They invade structures during heavy rains when the honeydew of plants is washed off.