Termites and Termite Prevention:
Since termites are a constant threat to your home, here are some things you can do during the year to help protect your home from Termites.
What Can You Do to Get Rid of Termites?
Small steps make a big difference in termite prevention and sustaining an effective termite treatment plan. Start by eliminating moisture conditions and food around your home. These simple steps make your home a less attractive target, helping deter termites.
Eliminate Moisture Problems:
- Repair leaking faucets, water pipes, and a/c units
- Divert water from foundation
- Keep gutters and down-spouts clean
- Remove excessive plant cover and wood mulch
- Get rid of standing water on roof
- Keep all vents clear and open
- Seal entry points around water and utility lines or pipes
- Remove Food Sources
- Keep firewood, lumber, or paper away from foundation or crawl space
- Get rid of stumps and debris near house
- Place screens on outside vents
- Check decks and wooden fences for damage
- Wood on your home should not contact the soil
Termite Warning Signs:
Some indications you may have a termite infestation:
- A temporary swarm of winged insects in your home or from the soil around your home.
- Any cracked or bubbling paint or frass (termite droppings).
- Wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
- Mud tubes on exterior walls, wooden beams, or in crawl spaces.
- Discarded wings from swarmers.