5 Tips for Preventing Winter Pests
Cold wintertime temperatures surely kill off pests, right? Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Although pest problems are certainly more common in the spring and summer, pests and insects in the fall often enter homes to escape dropping temperatures. Cockroaches, spiders, rodents, and a number of insects are all known to squeeze their way inside during Chicago IL winters. No one wants to deal with a pest infestation during the holiday season. The experts at Anderson have provided their top tips for preventing winter pests—read on to learn more!
Types of Winter Pest Infestations
Some insects tend to be less active during the wintertime and are not seen again until the weather warms up. On the other hand, bugs such as Asian lady beetles and boxelder bugs invade homes in the fall to prepare for the months ahead. When it comes to preventing winter pests, it’s important to protect your home from the following pests:
- Rats & mice. House mice and Norway rats in particular are known to squeeze their way indoors during the cold months.
- Cockroaches. The German cockroach will hitchhike inside in boxes and can spread easily.
- Spiders. House spiders are typically harmless and can be found in dark, secluded areas of the home.
- Bed bugs. Known to withstand extreme temperatures, bed bug problems are a threat during the winter.
Preventing Winter Pests in Your Home
To avoid the frustration of a pest infestation during the winter months, it’s best to learn how to protect your home. Some of the ways you can keep winter pests out of your residential property include:
- Sealing cracks and holes on the outside of your home to keep pests from making their way inside.
- Eliminating sources of excess moisture by addressing and fixing leaking pipes and drains.
- Placing screens over vents and chimneys to eliminate entry points inside the property.
- Storing firewood away from the home and eliminate clutter in your yard to discourage nesting.
- Promptly cleaning up spills, disposing of garbage regularly, and avoiding excess clutter.
The Importance of Winter Pest Control
Winter pest problems are a serious threat to homeowners. The best way to go about preventing winter pests is to safeguard your home against them! If you’ve done all you can to keep insects and other pests out of your home but are still experiencing issues, it’s time to call the experts at Anderson Pest Solutions.