Tips for a Bed Bug-Free Holiday Season
Traveling home for the holidays? With Thanksgiving being one of the busiest times of the year for traveling, bed bug infestations are bound to happen. Bed bug problems are often traced back to traveling because they are found in hotels. They spread when they hitch a ride on suitcases, which is why many people bring them home unknowingly. Whether you’re booking a hotel this holiday season or having guests stay with you, keep reading to learn how to prevent bed bugs from ruining your holiday spirit!
Holiday Bed Bug Infestations
Most people mistakenly believe they are at less of a risk to get a pest infestation during the winter. Unfortunately, bed bugs are well-adapted to surviving throughout the entire year. In extreme temperatures, they can go into a state of diapause, wherein they’ll survive months without a meal. But inside Chicago homes, they are perfectly capable of remaining active throughout the winter.
How to Prevent Bed Bugs During Holiday Travels
Whether you’re staying in a hotel, traveling via airplane, or simply packing a suitcase, there are a number of things you can do to prevent bed bugs while traveling:
- Do your research!
- Before you book your hotel, look at the reviews for any mentions of bed bug problems in the past.
- Thoroughly inspect the hotel room.
- Pull back the bed sheets to look between the mattress and box spring for signs of bed bugs, their eggs, or their feces.
- Inspect the mattress to locate tiny specks of blood that may indicate past bed bug bites.
- Protect your suitcases.
- Use a hard-case suitcase and protect clothes in plastic bags inside your suitcase.
- Store your luggage on suitcase racks inside of hotel rooms or in the bathtub.
- Be careful of bringing your suitcase indoors.
- After a trip, wash and dry all your clothing in hot water.
- Steam-clean your suitcase before storing it away, paying close attention to the lining and pockets.
Hot to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are resilient pests and can be difficult to prevent even if you take all the precautions. If you find yourself with an infestation this holiday season, it’s important to call the bed bug exterminators at Anderson Pest Solutions right away. Our bed bug removal team can effectively control any problems as well as prevent future bed bugs from happening.