Common House Nuisance Ants in Chicago
Serving Chicago Illinois and Indiana
An infestations can become any homeowner’s worst nightmare. Regardless of the type of ant, infestations can grow out of hand quickly and become difficult to control without professional help. Still, it is important to try to identify what species of ants you may be dealing with to determine the best course of action.
Types of Ants in Chicago Homes
- Known for their destructive capabilities, Camponotus ants build nests in hollow wooden spaces.
- Although they don’t eat wood like termites, they will continue to excavate wood and expand their network of tunnels, known as galleries.
- Carpenter ants are some of the longest ants in the world and are generally black in color.
- They prefer sugar as their main source of food.
- These ants are known for their distinctive “rotten coconut” smell when crushed.
- Odorous ants commonly invade household spaces during heavy rains and prefer nesting in wall spaces next to a heat source.
- Odorous ants can be brown or black.
- They prefer sweets but will also eat any food source available.
Ready For a Free Ant Control Quote?
Click the button below to leave your information and we’ll be in touch with you fast for an ant control quote!
- Identified by the grooves running along their heads and bodies, Tetramorium caespitum can create a serious problem for homes built on slabs.
- If indoors, they will also nest in walls and floors.
- Their color can range from dark brown to black, and they prefer to feed on meat and grease.
- Found in almost every part of the world, the highly-adaptive Monomorium pharaonis has been able to survive in a range of climates.
- Pharaoh ants are highly prolific, and a single colony can infest a large building in less than six months.
- These yellow or light-brown ants are serious pests, and their preferred food sources range from sugar and food particles to fabrics and even rubber.
- Pharaoh ants are very small, and can be found in walls, floors, and furniture.
- North America has several species of ants known commonly as “sugar ants”. Formica fusca, Monomorium minimum, and many other species (including carpenter ants and odorous ants) could belong to this broad characterization.
- Most species prefer warm, humid climates and are commonly active during the summer.
Professional Ant Control Services
No matter which type of ant you’re dealing with in your home, infestations are notoriously hard to control and almost always require professional help. Anderson Pest Solutions can help find the source of ants in your home, eliminate colonies, and make sure you never have an ant problem again!