Aggressive Yellow Jackets in the Fall
Ever notice that yellow jackets and wasps get particularly aggressive during the late summer and fall? These stinging insects notoriously become a nuisance this time of year as they prepare for the colder months ahead. When the summer weather winds down, their populations often outgrow nests, which is why yellow jackets will flock to residential areas to seek out resources. To protect you and your family from these stinging insects, it’s important to learn how to prevent them from invading your property!
Why are There so Many Wasps During the Fall?
During the spring, yellow jackets and other wasps hatch and their populations grow throughout the summer. As summer slows down, the growing populations tend to outgrow their nests and expand their search for resources. In doing so, they become more aggressive and tend to intrude on outdoor barbecues, picnics, and the like. Some of the things that are most appealing to wasps include:
- Food: Sugary, sweet, protein-filled foods that are left outdoors will be targeted by wasps and yellow jackets.
- Water sources: Swimming pools, hummingbird feeders, water fountains, and ponds are all attractants to wasps and yellow jackets.
- Eaves and holes: Wasps will look for crevices in which to build their nests. If you see a small nest forming, it’s time to call a professional.
Preventing Wasps and Yellow Jackets
To avoid dealing with wasps ruining your weekend barbecue, it’s essential to know how to keep them away from your property:
- Cover all food and garbage with tight-fitting lids.
- Avoid wearing bright colors or applying perfume.
- Seal any cracks or crevices in the foundation of your home.
- Don’t walk barefoot through grassy areas.
- Eliminate sources of standing water and cover swimming pools, fountains, etc.
Professional and Eco-Friendly Nest Removal
Bottom line: no one wants yellow jackets or wasps ruining an outdoor event. If you are unable to prevent these stinging insects from invading your property or if you’ve noticed a nest forming, it’s essential to call in for professional help. Aggressive wasps and yellow jackets tend to sting without provocation in the fall, which can be extremely dangerous if anyone in your family is allergic. The professionals at Anderson Pest Solutions can remove nests and take care of any wasp problems on your property in a way that is safe for you and your family.