What Happens to Pests in the Fall?
Everyone knows pests run rampant during the summer months, so what happens to them in the fall? As the weather begins to shift into the cooler months, many summertime pests will die off. However, there are a number of insects and pests that will begin to seek out resources and shelter for the winter. This time of year, it’s essential to start protecting your home to keep your family safe from invasive fall pests in Illinois and Indiana.
Autumn Pest Problems
Some populations of insects will drop as fall rolls around. Other types of pests, however, will seem to appear more often than ever as they begin to prepare for overwintering. A few of the common pests you’ll see during the fall include:
- Ants: Cooler weather may cause ants to move their trails indoors.
- Rodents: Mice and rats are known to seek out warm places for shelter throughout the winter.
- Flies: Cluster flies, fruit flies, and house flies will seek out heat as the weather changes.
- Boxelder bugs & stink bugs: Both these odorous bugs are infamous for seeking out homes to invade before the winter.
- Cockroaches: As long as they have access to warm and moist environments, roaches can live year-round.
How to Prevent Fall Pests
Because so many pests are looking to make their way inside your warm and cozy home as the weather cools, it’s essential to learn how to keep them from succeeding! Some of the ways you can protect your property include:
- Remove all the debris in your yard and around the foundation of your home.
- Repair damaged screens and seal any cracks or crevices around your property. Double-check that your roof does not have any cracks.
- Fix any moisture problems, including leaky pipes and faucets.
- Always keep a clean and tidy atmosphere indoors to discourage insects.
How to Stay Pest-Free in the Fall
Eliminating a pest’s chance of making its way inside is the best way to avoid an infestation in the fall and winter. If you’re already noticing the signs of pest or insect activity, it’s time to call a professional. The team at Anderson Pest Solutions know how to keep any current pests under control as well as how to prevent future ones. To learn how we can prevent pests in your Illinois or Indiana home, give us a call today!