Mosquito Season is Here: How to Prevent Them
It’s nearly summertime here in Illinois and Indiana, and mosquito season is officially here. As weather warms up, mosquitoes become a serious nuisance anytime you spend time outdoors. To prevent mosquitoes from ruining your backyard barbecues or outdoor events in the coming months, it’s important to learn the best mosquito prevention tips. There are several things you can do to make your yard less attractive to mosquitoes: keep reading for expert tips and tricks from the mosquito exterminators at Anderson Pest Solutions!
Mosquito Prevention Tips
There are several things that attract mosquitoes to outdoor spaces. By eliminating the areas in which they live and breed, you can prevent them from deeming your yard suitable for breeding and inhabiting. Some of our best tips include:
- Remove all standing water. Get rid of standing water in buckets, flower pots, bird baths, tarps, and more. Mosquitoes use standing water to breed!
- Place screens on windows and doors. Installing screens on your doors and windows can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you try to get some fresh air.
- Consider getting fish for ponds and agitating the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. In addition, adding an agitator will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Keep a tidy yard. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also keep plants and bushes trimmed to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Install fans. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor areas.
How to Prevent Mosquito Bites
Some people are definitely more prone to being bitten by mosquitoes than others. In any case, there are several ways you can protect yourself and your family members from bites:
- Try to avoid going outdoors at dusk and dawn, which is when mosquitoes are most active.
- When you do go outdoors in the summer, make sure to wear light-colored clothing. If possible, wear long-sleeved shirts and pants to keep your skin protected.
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, apply an EPA-registered insect repellent containing DEET. Always consult your pediatrician before use on children.
How to Keep Mosquitoes Away For Good
Mosquitoes aren’t just a nuisance–they can be dangerous! Although the diseases spread by mosquitoes are rare, it’s best to do everything in your power to prevent mosquitoes in your property. By following the above mosquito prevention tips, you can hopefully prevent the onslaught of mosquitoes in the coming months. For long-term prevention, it’s best to consult your local mosquito control experts. The experts at Anderson provide the best, most effective mosquito control services–contact us today to learn more!