Keep Mosquitos from Biting
Serving Illinois and Indiana
Mosquito bites can be annoying, frustrating, and in some instances, dangerous. Keep a home or business safe from mosquitos with the following tips.
Lawn and Garden Mosquito Prevention
- Cut lawns and shrubbery frequently to remove mosquito hiding places.
- Remove sources of standing water, such as play equipment, decorative water features, empty flower pots, and any abandoned items (tires, buckets, etc).
- Fill any remaining puddles or holes with coffee grounds. This will naturally dry up any mosquito eggs or larvae.
- Choose plants with natural repelling power, such as marigold, lavender, and lemongrass.
Windows and Doors: Preventing Mosquito Entry
- Properly cover windows, doors, and other openings with screen mesh. Make sure it has at least 18×18 strands per square inch.
- Keep doors and windows shut to prevent mosquitos from entering a home or business.
Ready For a Free Pest Control Quote?
Click the button below to leave your information and we’ll be in touch with a free quote!
Personal Mosquito Bite Prevention
- Whenever possible, avoid going outdoors at dawn or dusk. This is when mosquitos are most active, and bites are most prevalent.
- Cover arms and legs with long-sleeved shirts, jackets, and long-legged pants. Treating the clothing with insect repellent will help as well.
- During extended time outdoors, apply insect repellent that contains 30 to 50 percent DEET. This is the level recommended by the CDC (Center for Disease Control) to prevent the spread of mosquito-borne illness. Use only as instructed by label.
What to Do if Mosquitos Get Worse
Sometimes prevention tips are not enough, and a mosquito infestation gets out of control. Eliminating mosquitos can be a complex and lengthy process, and should be modified to fit an individual home or business. Call Anderson Pest Solutions today for a free estimate!