How to Prevent Mosquitoes in Your Yard
In the spring and summertime, mosquitoes can run rampant in your backyard. Mosquitoes require a source of standing water to reproduce, so preventing an outbreak on your property necessitates taking account of potential breeding zones. The mosquito prevention process includes:
- Getting rid of stagnant water
- Covering spas, pools, and birdbaths
- Installing screens on doors and windows
- Turning on oscillating fans outdoors
- Hiring professional mosquito exterminators
Why Are There Mosquitoes on My Property?
In the summer here in Illinois and Indiana, mosquitoes are in a constant search for suitable breeding grounds. If your backyard has any source of still water available, you may find yourself with a mosquito problem before you know it. Because mosquitoes will make do with the smallest amount of stagnant water, it’s important to be thorough in your inspection. These pests are also likely to be found in locations that are heavily wooded.
Ready for a Pest Control Quote?
Click the button below to leave your information and we'll be in touch with a free quote!
6 Tips to Keep Mosquitoes Out of Your Yard
- Eliminate all standing water. Get rid of still water in buckets, flowerpots, birdbaths, tarps, and anywhere else you find it. You don’t want to give them a suitable spot to lay their eggs.
- Put screens on windows and doors. Installing screens on your doors and windows keeps mosquitoes from intruding every time you want to get some fresh air.
- Maintain your yard. Try to keep a tidy garden and cut your lawn short. Keep any plants and bushes trimmed as well to limit resting spots.
- Find ways to stimulate ponds that you may have. Certain kinds of fish that you can purchase will feed on mosquito larvae. Alternatively, installing an agitator will prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Install fans. Mosquitoes are not strong enough fliers to withstand a steady stream of wind. Use fans to help force them away from your yard.
- Inspect your yard regularly. Always be on the lookout for potential mosquito breeding grounds. You may consider hiring your local mosquito control experts for assistance in ridding your yard of potential hot spots.
Professional Mosquito Prevention For Your Property
If the prior mosquito prevention tips did not prevent an infestation in your yard, it’s time to contact your local mosquito exterminators. The experts at Anderson Pest Solutions are highly trained in multiple extermination tactics and preventative measures.