Rat and Mice Proofing Your Home
Serving Illinois and Indiana
Tips to Keeping Rodents Out
The best cure for a rodent problem is prevention. Here are a few pest control tips that will help you keep rats and mice out for good.
- Consider getting a cat, or making friends with outdoor neighborhood cats. If you can keep them on or near your property, they’ll help control the rodent population and serve as a deterrent.
- Use safe, natural mouse repellents. Plant mint around your windows and doors to discourage entry. Essential oils such as peppermint and spearmint also work in place of a mint plant. Simply place drops throughout and around the house. You can also tuck bay leaves into cabinets.
- Store dry foods, pet food, and birdseed in sealed, heavy containers.
- Avoid leaving uneaten food out.
- Place your garbage cans on six-inch wood platforms and replace cans that have holes or cracks.
- Remove fallen fruit from your lawn.
- Search the interior and exterior of your home for holes and cracks that could allow a rodent to enter. Fill any that you find with steel wool, plaster, caulk, or cement.
Ready For a Free Pest Control Quote?
Click the button below to leave your information and we’ll be in touch with a free quote!
Humane Rat and Mouse Baits
If you have a soft heart and would prefer using a humane live mouse trap to capture and relocate the little fellows, here are the best baits to use.
- Chocolate and other soft candies
- Maple syrup
- Peanut butter
- Smelly, soft cheese
- Pieces of bacon
- Crackers with butter
- Wet pet food
- Wiener slices
Rodent Extermination Experts
If mice or rats make your Illinois home their hideout, despite your best efforts, it’s time to call a professional. Contact Anderson Pest Solutions to get rid of your pesky guests and for advice to help you keep them away for good.
<< Back to Rodent Exterminator Services