What Termites are in Illinois and Indiana?
Although there are more than 2,000 types of termites (and nearly 40 in the United States), there is just one that is common here in Illinois and Indiana: the Eastern subterranean termite. Both Formosan termites and drywood termites, while common in other regions, are relatively rare here in the Midwest. Regardless, subterranean termites are one of the most relentless and destructive species.
Termites in the Midwest
Termites are active all year long in our region. Although we only have one very common type of termite in our area, it is also one of the most destructive types of termites. Here’s what to know about Eastern subterranean termites in Illinois and Indiana:
- These termites are the most common in North America, and also cost property owners the most money from the damage they cause.
- They are typically smaller than drywood termites and vary in appearance by caste.
- Subterranean termites need contact with the soil to survive and prefer moist or humid environments.
- A common sign of Eastern subterranean termites is seeing their mud tubes.
- These termites only eat softwood, which can result in damaged wood that appears layered.
- Subterranean termite nests are typically found below ground or beneath the foundation of a property.
Do You Have A Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we’ll be in touch in an hour or less.
How Do I Know What Type of Termite I Have?
It is very difficult to identify the specific type of termite you have without the help of a professional termite exterminator. In fact, it is very rare to see termites whatsoever, unless you notice a swarm. A professional termite control company can identify the species of termite you are dealing with and work to determine the best form of termite control for that species. Contact Anderson Pest Solutions for help identifying the type of termite you have.