Does Anything Keep Bed Bugs Away?
Bed bug infestations can be unpredictable, but it’s important to stay vigilant about preventing them after traveling and when buying used furniture.
In order to prevent bed bugs:
- Know the signs of bed bugs.
- Protect yourself when traveling.
- Inspect used items before buying.
- Take precautions at home.
Ready for a Free Pest Control Quote?
Click the button below to leave your information and we'll be in touch with a free quote!
How to Prevent Bed Bugs
Bed bug problems can’t be prevented in the same way other pest problems can. There are several things you can do to lessen the risk of an infestation:
- Learn how to recognize the signs of a problem early on. Bed bugs will leave dark fecal spots on mattresses and furniture where they live. In addition, their bites often leave blood spots on bedding and red, itchy bite marks on you.
- Before you bring any secondhand items into your property, thoroughly inspect them for signs of bed bugs.
- Consider covering your power outlets with a plug and cover your mattress with a protector. This takes away two of their top hiding spots.
- If you are traveling, inspect your hotel room and be cautious when unpacking your luggage upon returning home.
Preventing Bed Bug Infestations in Illinois and Indiana
In addition to the tips mentioned above, there are a few other steps you can take to possibly protect yourself against bed bug problems. Vacuum your property frequently and reduce clutter in your home to limit the possible hiding spots for bed bugs. When using shared laundry facilities or laundromats, take caution in protecting your clean clothes or bedding. Lastly, if you live in a multi-unit building (apartments or dorm rooms), stay vigilant about looking for the signs of bed bugs from your neighbors.
How to Prevent Bed Bugs Year-Round
Your best defense against bed bugs is knowing the signs of bed bugs and taking precautions all year round to prevent them. Whether you’re traveling, have a college student coming home from school for the holidays, or have a neighbor with a bed bug problem, it’s important to know what you can do to to protect you and your family against bed bugs.