Don’t Let Rodents Spoil Your Romance
Soon it will be Valentine’s Day in Illinois, and couples across the state will be sharing flowers, cards and lots of delicious chocolate and other heart-themed sweets. The treats are sure to delight your valentine, but you may find that they lure unwelcome comrades. Mice and rats, are drawn to chocolate and sweets; and there’s nothing romantic about rodents munching on your leftovers. But don’t worry, you don’t have to give up your sweets to keep them away. And if they’ve already snuck in, contact Anderson Pest Solutions for a rodent-free Valentine’s Day.
Tips for Keeping Mice and Rats Out
The best cure for a rodent problem is prevention. Here are a few pest control tips that will help you curb their enthusiasm for camping out in your walls and stealing your chocolate.
- Consider getting a cat, or make friends with outdoor neighborhood cats. If you can keep them on or near your property, they’ll help control the rodent population and serve as a deterrent.
- Use safe, natural mouse repellents. Plant mint around your windows and doors to discourage entry. Essential oils such as peppermint and spearmint also work in place of a mint plant. Simply place drops throughout and around the house. If mint isn’t your scent, you can tuck bay leaves into cabinets.
- Store dry foods, pet food and birdseed in sealed, heavy containers.
- Avoid leaving uneaten food out.
- Place your garbage cans on six-inch wood platforms, and replace cans that have holes or cracks.
- Remove fallen fruit from your lawn.
- Search the interior and exterior of your home for holes and cracks that could allow a rodent to enter. Fill any that you find with steel wool, plaster, caulk, or cement.
Romancing the Rodent: Great Trap Baits
If you have a soft heart and would prefer using a humane live mousetrap to capture and relocate the little fellows, here are the best baits to use.
- Chocolate and other soft candies
- Maple syrup
- Peanut butter
- Smelly, soft cheese
- Pieces of bacon
- Crackers with butter
- Wet pet food
- Wiener slices
When Rodents take Over, Contact Anderson Pest Solutions
If mice or rats make your Illinois home their hideout, despite your best efforts, it’s time to call a professional. Contact Anderson Pest Solutions to get rid of your pesky guests and for advice to help you keep them away for good.