How to Prevent Bringing Bed Bugs into Your Home
To prevent bringing bed bugs into your home, always be cautious while traveling and take care in buying used furniture.
To keep bed bugs out of your home:
- When traveling or moving, look for signs of bed bugs.
- Before you buy used furniture, check for past or active signs of bed bugs.
- After getting home from a trip, check that your suitcase does not have bed bugs.
How to Prevent Bed Bugs After Traveling
One of the top reasons why people get bed bugs is because they bring them home with them from a trip! It’s important to stay vigilant about bed bug prevention while traveling:
- In a hotel, thoroughly inspect your room for bed bugs by looking at furniture, mattresses, etc.
- When returning home, check the lining and inside of your suitcase before bringing it indoors and unpacking.
- Wash all of the contents of your suitcase (clean clothing included) in a hot cycle on the washing machine.
- Vacuum or steam-clean your suitcase before storing it away above ground.
Ready for a Pest Control Quote?
Click the button below to leave your information and we'll be in touch with a free quote!
How to Keep Bed Bugs Outside
Unlike most pests, bed bugs aren’t going to just come crawling into your home out of nowhere. Infestations spread when bed bugs attach to purses, backpacks, and suitcases. Keeping bed bugs outside your property simply entails staying vigilant about checking for the signs of the bugs at all times. If you have a kid returning home from college or camp, or you are planning an upcoming trip, it’s crucial to know all the ways you can prevent bed bugs.
Bed Bug Prevention Tips That Work
Bed bugs can be unpredictable, making it hard to say whether there’s a way to always prevent them. When staying in hotels, store your luggage up off the floor. In addition, check the beds for signs of bed bugs. When returning home, ensure your suitcase is bed bug-free before bringing it indoors. When buying used furniture, always ensure that it is not infested before making the purchase. Your best defense against bed bugs is the knowledge of what to look for and how to protect yourself against them!